Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Once Again, Countdown To Fitzmas

Countdown to Fitzmas starts again today. Keith Olbermann reported that special prosecutor Fitzgerald was in town yesterday for business in the Scooter Libby case and we know that the grand jury handling the CIA leak case usually meets on Wednesdays and Fridays. It's not too big a stretch to wonder, as Keith did, if Fitzgerald will be arriving at the courthouse today for some work with the CIA leak grand jury. If so, the indictment could be handed up and announced later today (or later in the week too, I suppose.)

Of course, the wait for Fitzmas could continue and continue and continue...

I'm sure the networks and newspapers will have the courthouse staked out, so if Fitzgerald does show up there we should know pretty early in the day. That doesn't mean we're going to hear the outcome in the case, but a Fitzgerald appearance at the CIA leak grand jury today wouldn't bode well for Dear Karl.

Comments:
I've got CNN on in the background waiting for the breathless comments.

My dad is a Fox News watcher, and when I went over for Mother's day, the Rove indictment came up. He assured me that Rove would not be indicted and that Plame was not under cover. When I directed him to the Fitzgerald filings that showed Fitz does think she was undercover, he looked shocked.

He's just sure I'm the one who has been brainwashed. Just a little story to display why FoxNews watchers were 50% more likely to believe that Saddam had WMD's.

And I responded to your Leopold observation over at my place.

http://bornatthecrestoftheempire.blogspot.com/2006/05/rovewatch-begins-again.html

If the story is proved false, I'll write something more formal. Short version, I think the chances are better that Leopold was set up rather than lying. Just as his background makes him more likely to be accused of lying, that also makes him a better target to burn. Ya know?

Mike
 
This 'Rove watch' must be getting frustrating. Watching Fitz over time, he seems to be very fastidious about getting his ducks in a row before he acts.
Fitz won't want egg on his face and he is highly exposed now.
I'm thinking the longer this draws out the more likely the first hit will be a good hit.
 
I saw on Firedoglake that the GJ is meeting at 1:00 PM rather than 9:30 AM. Anybody have on details on that?

Mike, you're probably right about Leopold. If he did get it wrong, it's probably because his sources got it wrong, not because he was purposely lying. I see from Talk Left that he still says the indctment will be announced this week and he maintains his reporting was accurate. As you say, we'll just have to wait until Friday and see.

cartledge, Fitz is very fastidious, which is great for his cases, but not so good if you're waiting to hear about the indictment! Nonetheless, I'm glad he is so fastidious and professional. He restores my faith in the system somewhat.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?