Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Hypocrisy Update: Rudy Giuliani Edition

Via Andrew Sullivan, here's Rudy Giuliani on the Libby commutation:

"After evaluating the facts, the President came to a reasonable decision and I believe the decision was correct."
Here was Rudy Giuliani, the prosecutor in the Marc Rich case, speaking about Clinton's pardon of Rich:

Well, I'm shocked that the President of the United States would pardon him. After all, he never paid a price. He got on an airplane, took all his records, and ran off to Zug, Switzerland, where he's remained a fugitive, and has made untold efforts to try to get the charges reduced, including many, many overtures and entreaties based on the use of influence.

Giuliani has two standards here - one for rich, connected Republicans and one for everyone else.

If you want more of the same from the last 7 years (i.e., cronyism, hackery, thievery, perjury and arrogance), vote for Rudy.

POSTSCRIPT: The attorney who represented Marc Rich was Scooter Libby.

Comments:
This just proves my theory that we've become a corpocracy, with all the appearances of a two party system, with the same people running both sides.
It also proves that when it comes to hypocrisy, nobody does it better than the Republicans.
 
Wow, that's an interesting nexus, isn't it? But not really surprising. As far as I'm conceerned, the Democrats and the Republicans are cut from the same corrupt cloth.

As for Giuliani, I can't believe that he's considered a serious candidate. I don't know if the country could stand 4 or 8 more years of a slightly more competent George Bush.
 
Lew, abi, I would certainly agree when it comes to the Clintons - completely bought and sold. Nonetheless, the Marc Rich pardon, as egregious as it was, does not approach the Libby commutation for cohones. Libby obstructed justice and took the fall for the VP, then got payback from his president. It really makes Bush an accessory to the crime.

One more thing: go over the last six years and look at Jack Abramoff, Bob Ney, Tom Delay, Randy "Duke" Cunningham, Mark Foley, J. Steven Griles, Timothy Flanigan, Italia Federici, Tony Rudy, David Safavian, Michael Scanlon, Neil Volz, Mark Zachares, Ralph Reed, Conrad Burns, the good folks at Halliburton and Kellogg, Brown & Root, and all the other Bush/Rove/Delay cronies who have enriched themselves off the public trough. Sure, Dems have some crooks and scalawags, but nothing that appraoches the sheer criminality, arrogance and complete unaccountability the Repubs under the Rove/Delay/Bush crew have.
 
You've convinced me, rbe.

BTW, I really hate teachers this time of year. ;-)
 
abi, I'm actually working the next few weeks, probably about 9 hours a day or so. My hope is to take the entire summer off next year, but most years I do some work over the summer. I still get a lot of time off, of course, for which I am thankful. However, were I to have to teach in NYC schools during the summer (where it is approximately 110 degrees in the non-air conditioned buildings), I think my brain would melt.
 
I hope you do take that time off next year. I know how hard teaching is, having done some for a short time. I don't think people who've never taught can appreciate how draining it is, and how quickly burned out you can become.

Enjoy the time you have off...
 
Thanks for the kind words about the profession, abi. It means a lot to teachers to hear somebody say that.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?